© Photographed September 1, 2015
Painted 2000 by Susan Renee Sampson
Black River Falls, Jackson County, Wisconsin
JACKSON ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE
President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Rural Electrification Act into law in 1935, making low-interest loans available to build the infrastructure to electricity rural America. Existing power companies found rural areas unprofitable to serve so rural people banded together and started their own electric companies called electric cooperatives (also known at the time as REA's). Rural electrification gave rural people the same comforts that city people took for granted. Electricity on the farm meant higher productivity with less effort and electrical conveniences made life more enjoyable. The radio both entertained rural people and informed them of current world events.Rural America may now be electrified but the work isn't done. Ongoing modernization & maintenance assure that Jackson Electric Cooperative member-consumers have a high level of service reliability at the lowest possible cost.
The mural is located on the grounds of Jackson Electric on northbound County Road F, north of its intersection with County Road A, at N6868 County Road F, Black River Falls 54615.
Take a stroll through history! The History murals displayed throughout downtown Black River Falls and Jackson County celebrate the history, culture, heritage and ethnicity of Jackson County. Contact the Black River Area Chamber of Commerce for detailed information at 800-404-4008.
Click here for a list of all murals photographed to date and to learn more about the mural project.
The marker is located on the grounds of Jackson Electric Cooperative.
The marker is located in Black River Falls, Wisconsin.