© Photographed August 15, 2015
Oregon, Dane County, Wisconsin
123 South Main Street
Dr. Isaac Howe Rental Building
NOTE: Content transcribed exactly as written, without correction of errors in punctuation.Originally this rental building matched Dr. Howe's drugstore next door, characteristic of the "Modern Broadfront" variant of the commercial vernacular form. Around 1925, the front facade was given its current simple appearance.This rental building housed a general store until 1910. The firm of Marcus Terwilliger and J.J. Lindsay were the first tenants. The partnership dissolved but Terwilliger had a general store on this site as late as 1895. By 1896, S. Grant Shampnor had purchased the building. Shampnor operated a general store and grocery on the site until c.1919, and owned the building until c.1940. By 1919 the Kivlin and Kern hardware and plumbing business had moved in. This enterprise later called Kivlin and McCann continued in the building until c.1941.
The marker and building are located on southbound South Main Street, south of its intersection with Janesville Street, at 123 South Main Street, Oregon, Wisconsin 53575.
The marker is affixed to the facade, to the far right.
The marker is located in Oregon, Wisconsin.