Photographed June 6, 2015
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society
Hales Corners, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
Few Early Businesses Remain Today
At one time Hales Corners had 13 taverns. The one at 10432 W. Forest
Home Ave., built in 1900, still operates as Annie's Tavern. In the early
days it had a round tower on the right front corner and a ballroom
on the second floor. The McLaughlin family has owned the
building since 1954 and still occupies the upper story.
Early maps show a post office in the area northeast of Annie's. In
1859, the post office was moved across the road to Jacob Siegal's
general store, where mail was delivered weekly by stage coach.
By 1896, it came daily by stage from West Allis.
The four buildings that used to stand between 10432 and 10512
W. Forest Home Ave. housed the businesses of a butcher,
harness maker, cobbler and barber.
The marker is located on southwest West Forest Home Avenue / Wisconsin Highway 24, west of its intersection with West Scharles Avenue, at 10432 West Forest Home Avenue, Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53130.
The marker is located in Hales Corners, Wisconsin.