© Photographed April 11, 2015
Erected 1996 by the Resad Family/Condon Oil Company,
the DeForest Area Historical Society, and the Village of DeForest
DeForest, Dane County, Wisconsin
SITE OF THE FIRST WELL IN DEFOREST
In the 1850's, the U.S. government commissioned a well to be dug on this site to insure the settlers of a pure source of water. The well was seventy feet deep and cased in hand-laid stone. It served the community for many years after the Karows purchased the property. A wind mill was constructed. Later, the well was dug deeper and an electric pump was installed. With good care by the Karow family, this historic well was preserved into the 1980's.
The marker is located at a Mobile Gas Station on eastbound County Highway Divide / East Holum Street, at its intersection with North Towne Road, at or near 937 East Holum Road, DeForest, Wisconsin 53532.
DeForest Area Historical Society
"Historical Marker" sign at the entrance to the gas station.
Looking east towards East Holum Road.
The small marker faces the gas station, not the street . . .
Cool building across from marker location.
The marker is located in DeForest, Wisconsin.