Erected by River, Rails & Trails Heritage Area
Osceola, Polk County, Wisconsin
For thousands of years, this limestone bluff has been an area landmark. Chippewa Indians camped here along the "ginseng trail" that stretched from Balsam Lake in Polk County to New Richmond in St. Croix County. Overlooking the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, the bluff is a resting place for resident Bald Eagles. White-tail deer walk its trails. Hepaticas, dogtooth violets and trillium grow in profusion. Pictured in this 1887 photo is the Soo Line dance pavilion that once stood on the bluff. The bluff is currently owned by the Village of Osceola.
This is one of many interpretive signs in the River, Rails & Trails Heritage Area, a project funded in part by a Heritage Tourism grant from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism.
The marker is located at Wilkie Glen and Cascade Falls on westbound Depot Road, west of its intersection with South Cascade Street / Wisconsin Highway 35, at 114 Depot Road, Osceola, Wisconsin 54020.
Written by longtime resident and Town Board member Eugene Lindholm