Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 1986 by Server Products, Inc.
Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
This structure originally a flour mill
was built in 1891
Simon Peter Schlafer
Founder of Menomonee Falls
Gratefully commemorated by
Server Products, Inc.
The marker is located on eastbound Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 74, east of its intersection with Mill Street, at 16447 Main Street, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin 53051.
The building is No. 4 on the Menomonee Falls Village Centre Historic Walking Tour.
N88 W16447 West Main Street, Waukesha County, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Historic Name: Enterprise Roller Mill
Other Name: Server Products, Inc.
Year Built: 1891
Architectural Style: Commercial Vernacular
Wall Material: Limestone
National Register Listing Name: Main Street H.D.
National Register Listing Date: 1988-09-21
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
Additional Information: Builder was Johnson and Parker. Limestone for the construction of the mill came from the Harmon Stone quarries at Lannon, WI. Peter Schlafer and John Huebner, as Schlafer, Huebner and Co., purchased their mill property from John Fye in 1890. In 1891, they erected a three story stone flour mill, powered by steam which was heated by coal. The mill was designed to produce 100 barrels of flour a day. Prior to this venture, Schlafer owned an interest in a competing mill, the Menomonee Falls Roller Mill. By 1910, machinery included a corn crusher and sheller, nine sets of double rollers, a milling searator, flour packers, purifiers, scalpers, centrifugals, a shaker, a scourer, and a dust collector. The owners added an elevator in 1893 which is now not extant. The mill produced high grade flour and feed for local sale as well as for markets in Milwaukee. Huebner sold his interest in 1903. In 1941, the estate of Peter Schlafer sold the company to Server Products. The E.P. Allis mill machinery was removed and it then served as an office, laboratory, and warehouse. The one story east side addition was constructed in 1967 and replaced a wooden one story storage room built in 1895. Exterior of the building has been sandblasted. Interior was renovated in 1955.
The foregoing content used with gracious permission of the Wisconsin Historical Society.
The small marker is mounted to the facade,
to the left of the window to the far left.
Photographed July 4, 2015.