Photographed October 22, 2014
Erected 2004 by Washington County Landmarks Commission
Hartford, Washington County, Wisconsin
43° 18.93′ N, 88° 22.628′ W
WILLARD R. AMIDON
In 1883, Willard R. Amidon built this Queen Anne style home for his wife Laura. This home served as the family residence until Laura’s death in 1944. The house has the original fieldstone foundation and retains many original features. Many renovations were completed throughout the years, preserving the original fixtures and woodwork.
Mr. Amidon was the first jeweler in the city. At the age of 19, he started his own business as a jeweler and also sold sewing machines, musical instruments, and silverware. He was a prominent civic leader and served many years on the city council, school board, and was a charter member of the Hartford Fire Department.
The marker is located on northbound South Street, north of its intersection with Branch Street / Wisconsin Highway 83, at 134 South Street, Hartford, Wisconsin 53027.
The marker is No. 03-005 in a series of markers placed by the Washington County Landmarks Commission.