The Inn at Pine Terrace

 © Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 1997 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Oconomowoc, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 7.274′ N, 88° 29.696′ W

THE INN AT PINE TERRACE
This nineteen room Victorian mansion was the showplace of Oconomowoc when it was built by Peter and Henry Schuttler in 1879 at cost of $30,000. The Schuttlers were successful Chicago wagon manufacturers known not only for their serviceable farm and commercial vehicles and their fancy society carriages but also for their sturdy “prairie schooner” used by pioneers traveling westward across the plains and over the mountains. It has been said that the Mormons, setting out for Utah, insisted upon Schuttler wagons before beginning their journey.

Reflecting the prestigious lake country living of other wealthy industrialists, “Mon Bijou,” as the Schuttler estate was called, was strictly a summer residence for the two brothers and their families, they owned the property until 1922. For the next seventy years it served vacationers as the Pine Terrace Resort.

In 1987, after much carefully detailed restoration brought the structure back to its original opulence and to the prominence it shared in the days when Oconomowoc was known as the “Newport of the Midwest” the house was entered in the National Register of Historic Places. Today the Inn at the Pine Terrace is a unique bed and breakfast inn.
The marker is located adjacent to the parking lot at The Inn at Pine Terrace, on eastbound Lisbon Road, at its intersection with Pine Terrace, at 351 Lisbon Road, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin 53066.


The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin: Waukesha County.

The marker is No. 24-03 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.




 The marker is adjacent to this south side of the building.

 The marker is visible just right of center in this photo.


 View from Lisbon Road.

The Inn at Pine Terrace is easy to find at its Lisbon Road location.

 The marker is located in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment