Photographed September 27, 2014
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society
Chippewa Falls, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
44° 56.254′ N, 91° 23.624′ W
THE FEDERAL BUILDING
& EARLY MAIL SERVICE
This Federal Post Office Building was built in 1910 at a cost of $90,000. The property was purchased from the Thornton estate for $10,000. The Neo-Classical design style was often used by governmental architects of the Treasury Department during the period of 1895 and 1930.
Regular mail service and the first post office was established at Chippewa Falls in 1851. Hiram S. Allen received a commission as the first postmaster and received what little mail there was at the Company Store. Since postage stamps were not in use yet, the recipient of a letter was required to pay for its carriage and delivery before he received it. The usual charge was twenty-five cents.
By the year 1855 mail arrived by Pony Express and two years later a bi-weekly stage line was established between Chippewa Falls and Wabasha, from where the mail arrived up the Mississippi River by river boats. Free delivery of mail was started in 1888 when five uniformed carriers were approved by the Post Office Department in Washington, D.C. for the city of Chippewa Falls.
The marker is located in front of the Federal Post Office building located on northbound North Bridge Street, at its intersection with eastbound East Columbia Street, at 315 North Bridge Street, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin 54729.
This marker is No. 10 in a series of historical markers erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society.
The marker is to the right of the entrance to the building.
The Columbus Street-side of the building.