© Photographed September 27, 2014
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society
Chippewa Falls, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
44° 57.184′ N, 91° 24.178′ W
SUNNY VALLEY SCHOOL
Sunny Valley School, originally called Goethel School was built in 1903 approximately eight miles west of Chippewa Falls on State Highway 29 where it crosses County Highway T. The one room schoolhouse served the north half of School District No. 5, Southwestern Township of Wheaton. It was heated with cord wood and slabs in a box stove and lighted with four kerosene wall bracket lamps.
The first classes began in January of 1904 with Louise Small as the teacher. The standard pay at the time was $35.00 per month and teachers had to build their own wood fires for heat, keep the school clean, and take care of their own room and board while teaching eight grades. With no paved roads or snow plows, 99 percent of the children walked to school, many over two miles one way.
Sunny Valley was closed in the early 1960's when the district consolidated with the Chippewa Falls City Schools. In 1965 it was given to the Chippewa Falls Lions Club who had it moved and donated to the City of Chippewa Falls for Irvine Park. Park Superintendent Ralph Wolfe was responsible for its placement here on this foundation.
The marker is located on the property of Irvine Park and Zoo at the intersection of Erma-Tinger Drive and Wolfe Drive, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin 54729.
NOTE: This marker can be tricky to find. Use this PDF map of Irvine Park and Zoo. The marker is located at location No. 20.
Irvine Park and Zoo
This marker is No. 39 in a series of historical markers erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society.
See also, Pioneer Norwegian Log Home, also at this location.
Use the "Chippewa Falls Irvine Park" label below to identify all markers located at Irvine Park and Zoo; there are many.
The marker is visible to the right of the school.
Gorgeous fall colors at the Bridgewater Avenue entrance to Irvine Park.