Racine College

© Photographed September 2, 2014
Erected by The Dekoven Center
Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin
42.705486,-87.786173
Google Map

RACINE COLLEGE
In 1851 the Episcopal Diocese of Wisconsin sought to establish a college in Wisconsin. Milwaukee and Racine competed to be the first to secure $6,000 and a minimum of six acres. Racine won with a subscription of $10,000 and a donation of a ten-acre lakeside site described as "a beautiful one, on the southern margin of Racine, traversed by the main street of the city, in an oak grove, fronting on Lake Michigan, and commanding an extensive view of the lake, in its ever varying phases." The college opened in 1852. In 1859 Reverend James DeKoven became President. Based on his visits to England, he instituted a "family" style of education, where professors lived and prayed with their students, which proved highly popular. Innovations like this led to the school being described as "the most important church institute west of the Allegheny Mountains."
The marker is located on the campus of The DeKoven Center, located at

Collegiate Church of St. John.




Click here to view all markers located at The DeKoven Center.


The marker to the right and Collegiate Church of St. John visible to the left.

Rev. James De Koven at Racine College (1879 or earlier)
This media file is in the public domain.
Click here for more information
 
The Buildings of Racine College (1876)

 View of Lake Michigan across from the entrance to The DeKoven Center.

The marker is located at The DeKoven Center in Racine, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment