Photographed September 16, 2014
Nekoosa, Wood County, Wisconsin
44° 17.852′ N, 89° 53.561′ W
Lower limit of upper Wisconsin country. Called by Indians Ban-Gah-Je-Wung. First sawmill built just below here by Daniel Whitney in 1831. A strip three miles wide both sides of the Wisconsin ceded by Menominee Indians in 1836 from Point Bas forty miles upstream. Cession surveyed 1839 by Joshua Hathaway.
The marker is located along the Wisconsin River on northbound County Highway AA / Point Basse Avenue, just a smidge north of its intersection with Sheila Lane, Nekoosa, Wisconsin 54457.
Very easy to access this marker . . .
but it's easy to miss because of its size.