Omro Cooperative Butter & Cheese Company Creamery (1918/1922) (13)

 © Photographed May 3, 2017
Erected by Omro Area Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.039525,-88.7475
Google Map

Omro Cooperative Butter and
Cheese Company Creamery       1918/1922
325 W. Main Street
As early as 1892 a part of this site was occupied by a two-story frame building that housed Lowry & Martin’s cheese factory. By the turn of the century this building was gone, but another larger one was erected just to the west to house the new frame creamery building put up by the Omro Butler & Cheese Co., which was formed by area dairy farmers in the late 1890s. By 1916, the success of the company made it necessary to expand the factory, which resulted in the construction of the first portion of today’s building. In 1922, another section was added to the east and others were added later.
The company stayed in operation until 1944, when it was purchased by the Kraft Company, who continued to process milk and cheese here until 1962. The building was then sold to the City of Omro due to the artesian well on the site and for use as a municipal garage.
The Omro Cooperative Butter & Cheese Company Creamery building and marker are located on westbound West Main Street, at its intersection with Spruce State Route / Wisconsin Highway 21 / 116, at or near 325 West Main Street, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

 The marker is affixed to the corner of the building.


Photographed September 22, 2014

It's easy to miss the marker; impossible to miss the fox!

 The Omro Cooperative Butter & Cheese Company Creamery
is located in Omro, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment