Omro City Hall (1896) (18)

© Photographed May 3, 2017
Erected by Omro Area Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.039307,-88.743148

Omro City Hall
144 East Main Street
1896
The five-story-tall clock and bell tower of this outstanding Late [sic] Victorian-style building has been Main Street's most prominent landmark since the day it was completed. Designed as a combination municipal building / fire station / jail by architect F.G. Root and constructed at a cost of $5,000, this building is a beautifully preserved reminder of the days when a community's government services could be comfortably housed in a single moderate-sized [sic] building.

What sets this building apart is the extraordinarily intact state of its exterior and interior. The first story fire house still contains the 1892 steam-powered fire engine that was once the pride of the city. The original tower clock is still would by hand once a week. The building, vacated by the city in 1966, was saved from demolition by a 1967 referendum. It now houses the outstanding collections of the Omro Area Historical Society's museum.
The Omro City Hall and marker are located on eastbound East Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 21, just west of its intersection with Madison Avenue, at 144 East Main Street, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

© Photographed September 22, 2014

The marker is mounted to the facade, to the left of the entrance.


It's impossible to miss this grand building.

No comments:

Post a Comment