H.C. Scott Park (1)

© Photographed May 3, 2017
Erected by Omro Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.039451,-88.73812
Google Map

H.C. Scott Park    1911-24
515 E. Main Street
It is hard to believe, but the beautiful riverfront park we see today was once a dumping ground known derisively as “tin-can alley.” Its transformation began in 1911, when H.B. Patch, then county superintendent of schools, persuaded the owner, H.C. Scott, a local lumberman and mill owner, to offer the land to the village if it would develop it into a park. Scott’s challenge was first taken on by the Omro Men’s League, but after their effort failed the project was then taken over by a group of local women calling themselves “The Women’s Civic Improvement League.” When the completed park was transferred to the village in 1924, this group had raised more than $5,000 through fairs, bake sales, and dinners, and transformed a former wasteland into what is now Omro’s showplace park.

In 1933, a swimming pool and children’s wading pool were built using local money and federal C.W.A. funds, which was followed by the addition of a bathhouse and dock in 1939 using village and W.P.A. funds. A larger pool was built in 1969 with funds left by local banker, Arthur J. Marble (30). The pool was moved in 2000. In 2008, the American Bank Pavilion was constructed thanks to volunteers and funding from the American Bank, Omro Chamber of Commerce and the Omro Community.
The marker is located at H.C. Scott Park and is accessible from westbound East Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 21, west of its intersection with Maplewood Road, at or near 515 East Main Street, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

These veterans memorials are also at this location:

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

 See the container beneath the marker? Inside are pamphlets
of the City of Omro Walking Tour. H.C. Scott Park is the
first stop on the tour.


 Looking northwest, with the Fox River in the background.


Beautiful scenery at this location . . .

 In Remembrance of Members veterans memorial,
also at this location.

 Honoring All Who Served veterans memorial,
also at this location.

Photographed September 22, 2014
Erected 1995 by Omro Area Historical Society

H.C. Scott Park
515 E. Main Street
It is hard to believe, but the beautiful riverfront park we see today was once a dumping ground known derisively as "tin-can alley." Its transformation began in 1911, when H.B. Patch, then county superintendent of schools, persuaded the owner, J.C. Scott, a local lumberman and mill owner, to offer the land to the village if it would develop it into a park. Scott's challenge was first taken on by the Omro Men's League, but after their effort failed the project was then taken over by a group of local women calling themselves "The Women's Civic Improvement League." When the completed park was transferred to the village in 1924, this group had raised more than $5,000 through fairs, bake sales, and dinners, and had transformed a former wasteland into what is now Omro's showplace park.

Between 1924 and 1930, still more land was added to the park. In 1922, an adult swimming pool and a children's wading pool were built using a mix of local money and federal C.W.A. funds, which was followed by the construction of a bathhouse and dock in 1939 using village and W.P.A. funds. A new and larger main pool was built in 1969 with funds left the city by local banker, Arthur J. Marble.

Beautiful setting!

The marker is at the entrance to Scott Park.

 The marker is located in Omro, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment