© Photographed October 11, 2015
Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin
GYMNASIUM AND NATATORIUM
The gymnasium was built in 1875. A two-story dormered wing north of the building contained a science laboratory and an art studio. The entire building burned in 1898 and was rebuilt the same year.
From the early years, Racine College encouraged a wholesome athletic life. The college fielded a number of teams, including cricket, track, football, baseball, tennis, basketball, and swimming.
In 1910 the wing that now houses the indoor swimming pool was begun. This was the final building constructed on the campus.
The marker is located on the grounds of the DeKoven Center, in the center courtyard. The address of the DeKoven Center is 600 21st Street, Racine, Wisconsin 53403.
Click here to view all markers located at The DeKoven Center.
The marker is visible at the base of the stairs, to the left.
The Buildings of Racine College (1876)
The Gymnasium and Natatorium are visible to the far left.
View of Lake Michigan from the entrance to The DeKoven Center.
The Gymnasium and Natatorium is located on the grounds
of The DeKoven Center in Racine, Wisconsin.