First Presbyterian Church (1866-1867) (25)

© Photographed August 24, 2017
Erected by Omro Area Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.036804,-88.744272
Google Map

First Presbyterian Church
404 S. Webster Street
1866-1867
Omro's Presbyterian Church organized in 1851. The members' first meeting was in the toll house of a float bridge that spanned the Fox River. Worship continued in a variety of places until the members were finally able to build the church we see today, after a several year delay caused by the Civil War. This Greek Revival-style building has seen a number of changes since it was built. In 1881, the church was raised and a basement story was added. Later, the main facade was altered, and in 1951 it was altered again and the rear addition built. In 2003, the church built a new facility of North Webster Avenue, took the steeple, stain [sic] glass windows, and the bell from the old church for use on the new church, and sold the building.
The First Presbyterian Church building and marker are located on northbound South Webster Avenue / County Highway F, at its intersection with Superior Street, at 404 South Webster Avenue, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

 The plaque is affixed to the facade, to the right of the entrance.


Photographed September 22, 2014:




The marker is located in Omro, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment