Photographed September 27, 2014
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society
Tilden, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
44° 59.266′ N, 91° 27.126′ W
FIRST FARM IN CHIPPEWA COUNTY
(Located Directly Southwest of this Tilden Fire Station)
In 1847, a German by the name of George Myers arrived in Chippewa Falls looking for a tract of land for farming purposes. Prior to that time no one had attempted to cultivate any larger spot of ground than a garden patch. He chose this tract of land about six miles northwest of the "Falls" in what was then the town of Eagle Point and since becoming a part of the town of Tilden in 1883. The mercantile firm of Allen and Bass transported for him by boat, his farming implements and other necessaries.
The embryo 80-acre farm was composed of prairie, timberland and a fresh spring. Here the pioneer farmer of Chippewa County broke ground for corn, wheat and other products. Within a short time he built a comfortable log cabin, married a woman he met from the area, and cultivated highly productive acres that were the envy of the whole surrounding countryside.
In the 1850's William Henneman (later to become Chairman of Chippewa County's first Commission form of government) purchased the farm.
The marker is located at the Tilden Town Hall / Fire Department on westbound 100th Avenue / Meinen Road, just west of its intersection with 110th Street, and about 7/10ths of a mile west of its intersection with County Highway Q, at 10790 100th Avenue, Chippewa Falls (Tilden), Wisconsin 54729.
This marker is No. 17 in a series of historical markers erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society.
The marker is located at the Tilden Town Hall / Fire Department.
Nearby countryside . . .