Day & Phillips Building (ca. 1887-1892) (15)

© Photographed April 3, 2017
Erected by Omro Area Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.039205,-88.744748
Google Map

Day & Phillips Building      ca. 1887-1892
100 West Main Street
This building was built by Fred Day and Monroe Phillips to replace one that was lost to a fire that destroyed the whole south side of this block in the late 1880s. The earliest known occupants of this three-store building were Dare and Larrabee, who ran a dry goods store in the front portion, and a meat market that occupied the rear store.

The building's best known occupant, however, was James Sharp (24), a well known Civil War veteran who ran a dry goods store here for many years and who was known as "Peanut" Sharp because of the peanuts he gave the city children.

The building is located within the Omro Downtown Historic District.
The Day & Phillips Building and marker are located on eastbound West Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 21, at its intersection with one-way southbound South Webster Avenue / County Highway F, at 100 West Main Street, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

© Photographed September 22, 2014
This marker has been replaced by the marker above.

The marker is mounted to the facade, to the left of the entrance.

An interesting corner entrance.

 The marker is located in Omro, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment