Boy's [sic] Building (1915) (27)

© Photographed September 22, 2014 and August 24, 2017
Erected by Omro Area Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.035932,-88.744426
Google Map

Boy's [sic] Building           1916
450-456 S. Webster Ave.
This unusual building was constructed with a $10,000 bequest from Charles X. Larrabee, a member of a family that was associated with many early Omro enterprises (11, 7). Larrabee's legacy was used to provide the youth of Omro with an activity center. Located directly across from the high school, the new center featured pool tables and reading rooms in the basement and a single large room in the upper story that housed a gymnasium / basketball room. The building was surrounded with athletic fields and tennis courts. It was later used to house classrooms including a practice area for the band, hence locally it is referred to as the "band building."

Originally, the Boy's [sic] Building was a stucco-clad example of the Bungalow style, but it was remodeled into apartments in 1993 and the stucco is now covered with siding.
The Boys' Building and marker are located on northbound South Webster Avenue / County Highway F, at it's T-intersection with West Larrabee Street, at 454 South Webster Avenue, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

 The marker is affixed to the facade, to the right of the entrance.




The building is now apartments.

The marker is located in Omro, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment