Blacksmith Shop (1874)

Photographed September 22, 2014
Erected by Omro Area Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.039719,-88.746628
Google Map

Blacksmith Shop _______ 1874
223 W. Main Street
The front half of this stone building was already here as early as 1887, when it was used as a blacksmith shop by A. Strauss. Undoubtedly, a fair part of Strauss' trade was furnished by the large, now-vanished [sic] Lansing Livery Stable, which occupied the space between it and the Northwestern Hotel to the east.

By 1913, this former blacksmith shop had been lengthened to the north and was used as a veterinarian's office.

By 1929, the building housed an auto repair business.

In 1966, the building was purchased by Jerry Beck, who used it for his Yamaha sales and repair business. He and his wife Bev later opened a pizza parlor on the site. Mrs. Beck completed a facade improvement project in 1994.
The Blacksmith Shop building and marker are located on westbound West Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 21, at its intersection with Spruce State Route / Wisconsin Highway 21 / 116, at or near 223 West Main Street, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.


The marker is visible beneath the right side of the green awning.

Such a colorful building!

No comments:

Post a Comment