Camp Randall Civil War Memorial Arch / "Lest We Forget"


© Photographed April 24, 2017
Erected by the State of Wisconsin
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.071066,-89.409182

Erected by
the
State of Wisconsin
to mark the entrance
through which passed
seventy thousand of
her soldier sons and
five hundred thousand
relatives and friends
during the war from
1861 to 1865
"LEST WE FORGET"
MDCCCCXIII

The Civil War Memorial Arch is located at Camp Randall Memorial Park on southbound North Randall Avenue, at its T-intersection with West Dayton Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53706.

History of the Camp Randall Arch

Camp Randall in the Civil War

Be sure to check out "Old Abe" on the top of the arch!

Wisconsin Veterans Museum: Old Abe the War Eagle: Road to Camp Randall
Old Abe sits gallantly above the entrance arch. Originally the mascot of the 8th Wisconsin Infantry during the Civil War, he "accompanied the men in battle, lost feathers to stray bullets, and, on least one occasion, over-indulged on unattended spirits."

NOTE: Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus can be harrowing. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.


UW-Madison Map and Parking

These are also at this location:
Click here for a list of all markers located on the UW-Madison campus.



 Old Abe sits proudly a top the arch . . .


 Looking east through the Arch at West Dayton Street.


 Such a beautiful spring day!

First photographed April 11, 2014, on a very dreary day . . .

 The Arch is located on the UW-Madison campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment