WRL-68: Pioneer Aztalan

© Photographed July 21, 2015
Erected 1969 by Lake Mills Aztalan Historical Society
Aztalan, Jefferson County, Wisconsin
43° 4.335′ N, 88° 51.74′ W
Google Map

PIONEER AZTALAN
Pioneer Aztalan was settled in 1836 by Thomas Brayton and others at the junction of the Milwaukee-Mineral Point and Janesville-Fond du Lac territorial roads. By 1837 Aztalan had Jefferson County's first post office and by 1842 was its leading business and industrial center. After the railroad bypassed it in 1859, the once thriving community of 250 people, two hotels, a brickyard and five factories gradually declined. Only the original church remains.
The marker is on the grounds of the Aztalan Museum, located at N6284 Highway Q, Lake Mills, Wisconsin 53551.


orgsites.com: Pioneer Aztalan

This marker and location are included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973).

See also the following markers, also at this location:






 The marker is located at the Lake Mills Aztalan Historic Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment