Lake Nebagamon, Douglas County, Wisconsin
Here, in 1903, Dr. W. B. Hopkins, Cumberland, opened the first tuberculosis sanitarium in Wisconsin. He built an office and three one-story frame buildings with screen sides--the men's ward, the women's ward and a dining hall.
Hopkins treated tuberculosis cases here in summer. He wrote of the "pure air, day and night" and a program of close medical attention, good food and restrained exercise to keep the patient "cheerful and hopeful, temperate in all things."
Weekly rates were $15, or a patient could build a little cabin on the grounds and get medical treatment for $10 monthly. Physicians volunteered their services, among them, Dr. F. G. Johnson, Lake Nebagamon.
Operating losses caused the sanitarium to be abandoned in 1905. It was brave effort that stimulated inquiry into the treatment of tuberculosis in Wisconsin.
The State Medical Society of Wisconsin
The marker is located at the northeast corner of the intersection of East County Road B and South Lake Avenue / County Highway F, Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin 54849.
Originally photographed June 26, 2013
Not sure the significance of this . . .
This sign is in nearby Poplar, Wisconsin.
The marker is located in Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin.