Marker 145: School Consolidation

© Photographed June 26, 2013 and July 29, 2018
Erected 1964 by State Historical Society of Wisconsin
Port Wing, Bayfield County, Wisconsin
46° 46.505′ N, 91° 23.203′ W
Google Map

SCHOOL CONSOLIDATION
As the 20th century began, logging operations were in full swing in this area and the small log schoolhouses could not handle the increasing number of students. Some classes were held in churches but additional facilities were needed.

T.N. Okerstrom and James C. Daly conceived the idea of consolidating the rural districts and establishing a larger school with free transportation. It was a new idea and there was resistance but after numerous meetings and much planning, a new school district was completed in January 1903.

S.A. Baxter was principal, with a salary of $70 per month, and teachers Mary Kinney and Nettie Trolander each received $40 per month.

So far as is known, this was the first school district in Wisconsin to provide free, tax-supported transportation. Canvas covered horse drawn wagons or sleighs, known as “school rigs” were used for this purpose.
The marker is located at the intersection of westbound Wisconsin Route 13 and Grand Avenue, Port Wing, Wisconsin 54865.

These markers are also at this location:









Nearby Smokey and marker location sign.

The marker is located in Port Wing, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment