Photographed March 25, 2014
Erected by Green Bay Chamber of Commerce Leadership Green Bay ProgramGreen Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44° 30.634′ N, 88° 1.126′ W
FOX RIVER TRAIL
Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad . . .
later known as the Milwaukee Road came to Green Bay in 1873.
This depot was built in 1898 and was the only passenger depot located on the east side of the river. It served as a passenger depot from 1898 to 1938 (approximately 10 passenger trains per day) and again from 1945 to 1946 (about 12 passenger trains per day). After the decline of passenger railway service, the passenger depot closed but continued as a freight depot.
The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad had a monopoly on freight service for Green Bay's east side throughout the period of rail dominance in area transportation. Its "Alley Track," established in 1889 was a freight line that extended north along the east side of the Fox River through the central Green Bay commercial and industrial district, providing service to businesses along Washington Street and north.
It served major wholesalers such as the Hurlbut Company, the Morley-Murphy Hardware Company and Joannes Brothers' wholesale grocer.
The building is an excellent example of Flemish Renaissance Revival architecture and served as the office for the Association of Commerce (which later became the Chamber of Commerce) from 1957 to 2008. The building placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
The marker is located on the Fox River Trail, directly behind the Breakthrough Fuel building on southbound SouthWashington Street, located at 400 South Washington Street, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.
NOTE: There is plenty of parking on South Washington Street; then a short walk to the Fox River Trail to the marker's location.
Fox River Trail
Fox River State Recreational Trail
National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin: Brown County
This marker is one in a series of 12 interpretative signs placed along the Fox River Trail from downtown Green Bay to the Village of Allouez. These signs feature topics related to the history of the Green Bay area associated with the Fox River and also focuses on the importance of the Port of Green Bay in our community. Click here for a list of all markers included in the series.
With the depot in the background.
Looking north up the Fox River (marker is at center right).
The marker is just to the left of this flag and gazebo.
Originally photographed February 24, 2013:
With the depot in the background . . .
A view of the Fox River from the marker location.