THE MUELLER-WRIGHT HOUSE
THE MUELLER-WRIGHT HOUSE
This house was built by two early founders of Wrightstown - Hoel S. Wright and Carl G. Mueller. Wright and his wife, Orilla, founded the settlement when they moved here in 1833 from Pawlett, Vermont. Wright operated a trading post, ran a ferry service across the Fox River, and built an inn called the American House. In 1843, he received a patent from the federal government for 121 acres on the east side of the Fox River. On part of this property, he built a new home where he lived with his family until 1865. Carl G. Mueller, a native of Germany, succeeded to Wright's business interests. Mueller arrived here in 1856 and opened the first general store in the region. He also managed the American House and operated s sawmill and a brewery. In 1871, Mueller purchased several large tracts of land on the east side, including the house built by Wright. Mueller entirely rebuilt the house and added the wings of the present structure. In 1974, the Village of Wrightstown purchased the property and the house was restored by the Wrightstown Historical Society. The purchase and restoration were funded by a grant fromFORT HOWARD PAPER FOUNDATION
December 23, 1974
The Mueller-Wright House is located at 431 Washington Street / Highway 22 (non-deliverable address), at its intersection with Mueller Street, Wrightstown, Wisconsin 54180.
National Register of Historic Places Inventory -- Nomination Form: Historic Mueller-Wright House
- Entered on the National Register March 29, 1978
- The house is a "good and somewhat unusual example" of Greek Revival style.
- Vermont-born Hoel S. Wright built the primary section of the house, "probably" in the 1850s, although Irene Mueller, a granddaughter of Carl G. Mueller, maintained (in 1976) it was built sometime around 1843.
- The village and town of Wrightstown are named for Wright, a U.S. government surveyor who made his Wisconsin fortune through land speculation and the operation of a series of commercial enterprises, including a trading post on the lower Fox River at the mouth of Plum Creek, Wrightstown's first mill, the American House hotel, and a ferry service across the Fox.
- German immigrant Carl G. Mueller settled in Wrightstown in 1856 and worked for Wright as a clerk in his American House hotel. Mueller himself became a prosperous businessman -- eventually establishing a general store, owning "sizeable chunks" of town real estate, and operating a steam-powered saw mill which employed 50 men. He became as prominent as Wright, frequently held local elective office, and donated the land for St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. He is remembered as "an enterprising man" and "a civic-minded philanthropist".
- Mueller bought the Wright house lot (described as being "in sorry shape") in 1871 for $2,000, and began extensive remodeling in 1872 that produced what is known today as the "Mueller-Wright House".
- Today the home is owned by the Village of Wrightstown and serves as a museum and home to the Wrightstown Historical Society.