Waukesha, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 0.752′ N, 88° 13.637′ W
This site has been used for County purposes since Waukesha county was created (1846). Site of first courthouse (built 1846-1849), jail (1847) & office building (1860). New limestone Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse built on same site (1893). New jail (1885). Addition (1938) joined courthouse and jail. Complex used as courthouse (1893-1959). Home of Waukesha County Museum since 1914.
Also was site of earthen mounds of a Native American people, Effigy Mounds Tradition, late Woodland period (ca. 600-1200 A.D.)
The mounds were on what became Main Street, on eastern part of this site; and the turtle and 2 others on St. Joseph’s property in back of this building. Most of the 7 mounds were in geometric shapes, but one was a giant “turtle”, whose body was 56’ & tail was 250’. It stood 6’ tall. Because of development in the 1840’s 50’s, nothing remains of this mound group.
The marker is located on eastbound West Main Street, just west of its intersection with North East Avenue, on the grounds of the Waukesha County Museum, 101 West Main Street, Waukesha, Wisconsin 53186.
This marker is No. 34-03 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
First visited October 1, 2012:
The marker can be seen in the center of the photo . . .
The marker is on the north side of the Waukesha County Museum.