Marker 493: Jacksonport United Methodist Church

© Photographed October 19, 2017
Erected 2005 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin
44° 58.337′ N, 87° 11.489′ W

JACKSONPORT UNITED
METHODIST CHURCH
Also known as “The Little White Church by the Lake,” the Jacksonport United Methodist Church was completed in 1892. Its simple design is attributed to George Bagnall Sr., one of the original builders. Alex Halstead, Harry Wilson Sr. and Jed Jones helped in its construction. The church retains its original straight pews, white altar rail and pulpit, as well as its original Epworth reed organ. Current church rolls show many of the same family names as in the 1890s. Services are still held here May through October, and Christmas Eve.
The marker is located on northbound North Cave Point Drive, just south of its intersection with Wisconsin Highway 57, at  6154 North Cave Point Drive, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin 54235.

Jacksonport United Methodist Church 




 Looking north along North Cave Point Drive
towards its intersection with Wisconsin Highway 57.

 Signage on Wisconsin Highway 57.

Looking south at fall foliage along North Cave Point Drive.

The church and marker are located in Jacksonport, Wisconsin.

Jacksonport is a Little Wisconsin Community.

Little Wisconsin will be available May 7, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment