Marker 370: The Raube Road Site

Photographed September 14, 2012
Erected 1998 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Brandon, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
43° 43.777′ N, 88° 43.828′ W
Google Map

THE RAUBE ROAD SITE
The Raube Road Site is one of Wisconsin's few remaining intact Old Military Road segments from the state's territorial period. Located on farmland purchased by Albert and Martha Raube in 1911, this 123-foot-long Military Road segment was part of the first constructed roadway to cross Wisconsin. Originally planned as an army supply and communication route between Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, Fort Winnebago at Portage and Fort Howard at Green Bay, the 234-mile-long road was surveyed and built between 1832 and 1837. Fort Winnebago troops construct­ed the Poynette to Fond du Lac River section using oxen and hand tools during the summer of 1835. The road's marshy areas were filled with bundles of brush, tree limbs and stone while smaller streams were bridged with large logs. Preserved by the Raube family, "The Old Road" was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
The marker is located at a wayside on westbound County Road Tc, west of its intersection with County Road Tc / County Road M, Brandon, Wisconsin 53919.

The Wisconsin magazine of history: Volume 9, number 1, September 1925: The Old Military Road

The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin: Fond du Lac County.

NOTE: Use the "Wisconsin Historic Military Roads" label below to view markers placed along Wisconsin's Old Military Road.



No comments:

Post a Comment