Marker 184: Ripon College

Erected 1972 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Ripon, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
 43° 50.678′ N, 88° 50.414′ W
Google Map

RIPON COLLEGE
Incorporated January 29, 1851. The first College building, East Hall, was staked out that spring by Ripon city founders David Mapes and Alvan Bovay. Chartered as Brockway College, it was renamed Ripon College in 1864 and graduated its first class, four women, in 1867. Although private and non-sectarian, it was given support by the Winnebago Convention of Presbyterian and Congregational Churches until 1868. A regiment of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry was mobilized here during the Civil War. The three original buildings are still in use.
The marker is located on southbound Ransom Street, north of its intersection West Blossom Street, Ripon, Wisconsin 54971.

Ripon College: The History of Ripon College

See also, Ripon First Congregational Church (1868), also at this location.


 Marker is in front of Ripon College East Hall.



Ripon is proud of its college!

No comments:

Post a Comment