Marker 48: Poygan Paygrounds

© Photographed August 24, 2015
Erected 1956 by Winnebago County Historical Society
Winneconne, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44° 7.352′ N, 88° 50.47′ W

POYGAN
PAYGROUNDS
In 1836 the Menominee Indians ceded all their lands between the Wolf and Fox Rivers to the United States Government. Payment was made every October, in twenty annual installments, on these grounds. All their remaining lands were ceded in 1848 and they were offered a reservation in Minnesota which they refused. In 1852 they moved up the Wolf River where in 1854 they were granted eight townships, the present Keshena Reservation.
The marker is located at 8816 Poygan Shores Lane, on westbound County Road B at its intersection with Poygan Shores Lane, Winneconne, Wisconsin 54986. 

NOTE: The marker is near a Lake Poygan boat landing.




 The marker is at the Lake Poygan boat landing.

 No, not a blustery October day -- a blustery August day on Lake Poygan!

The marker is located in Winneconne, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment