Marker 456: Historic Omro

© Photographed May 3, 2017
Erected 2000 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44° 2.37′ N, 88° 44.346′ W

HISTORIC
OMRO
Located along one of Wisconsin's first transportation and communication routes, the community of Omro developed quickly on the Fox River. French fur trader and blacksmith Charles Omreau had a trading post here and give his name to the future city. Founded in 1842, Omro grew from a village in 1849 to a commercial center in 1857. By 1880 Omro was a stop on the railroad line and home to county fairgrounds, several mills, glass factory, carriage factories and had more than 2000 residents.
The marker is located at Scott Park on westbound East Main Street / State Highway 21, west of its intersection with Jackson Avenue, at 515 East Main Street, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.


Omro, Wisconsin 

This marker is included in Wisconsin's Maritime Trails: Historical Markers series.

The marker is included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

See also, Omro Veterans Memorial, also at this location. 



 The marker is at a lovely location along the Fox River.

 Looking east along East Main Street.

The Omro Veterans Memorial is located next to the marker.

The marker is located in Omro, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment