Marker 136: Car-Ferry Service

© Photographed August 5, 2012
Erected 1964 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Kewaunee, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin
 44° 27.603′ N, 87° 29.996′ W
Google Map

CAR-FERRY
SERVICE
Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western Railroad ferry slip No. 1, to your right, is the point where car-ferry service across Lake Michigan began. On Sunday, November 27, 1892, Ann Arbor Railroad car-ferry No. 1 loaded 22 cars of flour which originated at Minneapolis and were destined to England, Scotland and Ireland – the first boatload of box cars to be transported across Lake Michigan – a service later extended to other ports.
The marker is located at Harbor Point Park at the tip of a peninsula alongside the Kewaunee River, at the end of Hathaway Drive / Lakeshore Drive, Kewaunee, Wisconsin 54216.

NOTE: There is no address for this location, and it can be tricky to locate with GPS. Be sure to check the Google Map link before heading out.

Marker is located inside of Harbor Point Park
(marker is just beyond the park sign).

With the Kewaunee River in the background.

  With Tug Ludington in the background.

 View of Tug Ludington from marker location.

No comments:

Post a Comment