Marker 373: Denmark

 Erected 1998 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Denmark, Brown County, Wisconsin
44° 20.832′ N, 87° 49.554′ W

DENMARK
In 1848, immigrants from Langeland, Denmark, seeking economic opportunity and plentiful farmland, settled in this vicinity. The Danes purchased land here and called their early settlement "Copenhagen," later changed to Denmark. In subse­quent years, German, Irish and Czech immigrants joined the Danes, and Denmark grew to be a prosperous farming and trading community. After a railroad line reached Denmark in 1906, the area became an important center for Wisconsin cheese and dairy production.
The marker is located at Veterans War Memorial Park, 135 Wisconsin Avenue, directly across from the United States Post Office, Denmark, Wisconsin 54208.

Village of Denmark, Wisconsin

See also, Denmark Veterans Memorial, also at this location.







tumblr hit counter
hit counter

No comments:

Post a Comment