Couderay

© Photographed July 26, 2018
Erected 1960 by C. M. Olson
Couderay, Sawyer County, Wisconsin
45.796987, -91.292647

COUDERAY
Site of Upper Chippewa Valley's first sawmill; erected by Levi Felton and P.O. Parker in 1902.
In winter all supplies and equipment were hauled overland a distance of 40 miles from the nearest Soo line. In 1903 A.O. Nustad built the second sawmill at Eddy Creek one mile north on the Reservation.
When government surveyors reached here in 1856, pine in this locality had been logged and removed by trespassers.
The marker is tucked away inside the trees at a picnic area at the Eddy Creek Fishery Area and is accessible from westbound Wisconsin Highway 27 / Gettysburg Street, just west of where it crosses Eddy Creek, Couderay, Wisconsin 54828.

Welcome to Couderay: History

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources: Eddy Creek Fishery Area

See also, Early Logging History, also at this location.




The roadway in and out of the picnic area.

The marker is located at Eddy Creek Fishery Area.

The marker is located in Couderay, Wisconsin.

 Couderay is a Little Wisconsin Community.

Little Wisconsin will be available May 7, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment