Site of First Catholic Church

 © Photographed June 8, 2018
Erected by Madeline Island Historical Society
La Pointe, Madeline Island, Ashland County
46.772148, -90.781751

Site of
FIRST CATHOLIC CHURCH
built ty
FATHER FREDERIC BARAGA
1835

The marker is located on the northernmost tip of Chief Buffalo Lane, northwest of its intersection with Old Fort Road, adjacent to the Madeline Island Yacht Club Marina, La Pointe, Wisconsin 54814.

NOTE: It is tricky to describe the marker's location. Be sure to check the Google Map link before heading out.

NOTE: Madeline Island is accessible only by ferry (or by private boat or airplane), at the Madeline Island Ferry Line in Bayfield.

See also, La Pointe Indian Cemetery, also at this location.



With the yacht club and marina in the background.

The beautiful harbor.

 The current Catholic Church.

 The marker is adjacent to the historic
La Pointe Indian Cemetery.

Follow the sign to the Indian Cemetery.

The marker is located in La Pointe, Wisconsin.

La Pointe is a Little Wisconsin Community.

Little Wisconsin will be available May 7, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment