Memorial to the Commercial Fisherman of Bayfield | Past - Present - Future

© Photographed June 8, 2014
Erected 1981
Bayfield, Bayfield County, Wisconsin
 46° 48.687′ N, 90° 48.788′ W
46.811482, -90.813246
Google Map

Memorial to the Commercial
Fishermen of Bayfield
Past-Present-Future

Dedicated in 1981 to the hard working commercial fishermen
whose indomitable spirits will not be forgotten.

Commissioned by Edwin Erickson,
Mayor of Bayfield, 1970-1976 & 1980-1988

Designed by Harold Kerr (1909-1981)
Constructed by Brian Kerr and Erickson Marine
The pilings were salvaged from the steamer “Ireland” which ran aground at Gull Island. The anchor chain came from the “Pretoria” which sank off Outer Island in 1905. The timbers are part of the ore dock at Ashland. The largest piece of sandstone came from Outer Island while the other stones were brought from Sand, Oak, Manitou, Cat, and Outer Islands.
Plaque and mount made possible by Kerr Studio and Gallery—Bayfield, Wisconsin

The memorial is located adjacent to a parking lot accessible from northbound Front Street, north of its intersection with Rittenhouse Avenue, at or near 19 Front Street, Bayfield, Wisconsin 54814.

See also, Great Steamers on a Great Lake, also at this location.



The memorial is adjacent to the historical marker,
Great Steamers on a Great Lake.



View of the Madeline Island Ferry from the memorial location.
The memorial is located in Bayfield, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment