WRL-82: The Germantown Mutual Insurance Company

© Photographed October 20, 2017
Erected 1970 by Washington County Historical Society
Germantown, Washington County, Wisconsin
43.233086, -88.168568
Google Map

THE
GERMANTOWN MUTUAL
INSURANCE COMPANY
Chartered by a special act of the State Legislature April 1, 1854, Wisconsin's first mutual insurance company was organized by a group of farmers for protection against fire losses. Its first office was in Stage Coach Tavern. From 1870-1911 the Home Office Building was located in Dheinsville on the old Milwaukee-Fond du Lac Trail and moved to this site in 1911.
The marker is located inside the office of Germantown Mutual Insurance Company, located at W209N11845 Insurance Place, Germantown, Wisconsin 53022.

NOTE: GPS has a very difficult time arriving at the correct location using the company address. Use the GPS coordinates above to ensure easy arrival.

Wisconsin's Oldest Insurance Company -- Since 1854.

This marker is included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973).


The entrance to Insurance Place.

It's a little drive down Insurance Place to the insurance building.


The second Germantown Mutual Insurance Company
building, referenced in the marker content.
Located on Holy Hill Road at Dheinsville Settlement,
about 10 minutes from marker location.
43.250061, -88.143874
The marker is located in the Village of Germantown, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment