The First Church in Door County

© Photographed October 19, 2017
Erected by The Ephraim Congregation
Ephraim, Door County, Wisconsin
45.156152, -87.171954

On this spot, in the year 1857,
the Moravian pioneers of Ephraim
raised their house of worship -- the
first church in Door County.
A part of the original building
is retained in the present church.

This tablet was placed here by
The Ephraim Congregation
in the year 1957 to commemorate
the one hundredth anniversary.

The marker is located at a small park on the eastern bank of Eagle Harbor, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street / Wisconsin Highway 42, south of its intersection with Church Street, Ephraim, Wisconsin 54211.

The church was founded by Norwegian immigrant Andreas Iverson. Originally located on the shore of Lake Michigan, the church was moved to its present location in 1883.

See also, Ephraim Moravian Church, at a nearby location.

Looking across the harbor to Peninsula State Park.


With Peninsula State Park (to the left) and Eagle
Island (aka Horseshoe Island) in the center.

With Eagle Island (aka Horseshoe Island) in the distance.

The marker is just past the flag pool, amongst the trees.

 Reverend Iverson's painting of the church at its original location.
with Eagle Island top left.

Ephraim Moravian Church today.


The marker is located in Ephraim, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment