© Photographed August 8, 2017
Pulaski, Brown County, Wisconsin
This beautiful roadside shrine is located on the northeast corner of the intersection of Wisconsin Highway 32, at its intersection with South Chase Road / County Highway S, across from the Polish National Cemetery (on the southeast corner), Pulaski, Wisconsin 54162.
Central Wisconsin is full of little roadside crosses and shrines. According to tradition, these shrines are dedicated and erected at each century mark. The shrines represent a melding of Christian and pre-Christian briefs. Grottos at intersections represent the pagan belief that demons would hide there. Roadside shrines are most common in the Belgium (Door and Kewaunee Counties) and Polish (Portage and Marathon Counties) areas of Wisconsin, where these groups began settling in the mid-1800's.This "column shrine" is typical of those that survive. The upper part of the shrine contains three arched glass windows. The center window contains a plaster figure of the Virgin Mary. On either side is a figurine of a saint.
The west-side center arch contains the Virgin Mary.
The saints on the north (left) and the south (right) sides.
Looking east with County Highway S and the
Polish National Cemetery visible to the right.
about a mile south on Highway 32 from the shrine location.
Built by Polish immigrant farmers, this is one of
Wisconsin's most beautiful cathedrals.
The shrine is located in Pulaski, Wisconsin.