Whitewater Passenger Depot 1890-1891

© Photographed May 7, 2017
Whitewater, Jefferson County, Wisconsin
42°49'54.4"N 88°43'59.2"W
42.831773, -88.733119
Google Map

WHITEWATER
PASSENGER DEPOT
1890-1891
The Whitewater Passenger Depot was built in 1890-91 for the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad, later known as the Milwaukee Road. It replaced the original frame depot, which was erected in 1852 when the railroad first came to  Whitewater. The old depot was converted into a freight house, which stood next to this building until the late twentieth century.

The building's use as a depot came to an end when the railroad terminated its passenger service to Whitewater in November of 1951. During the 1960s, the building was hole to Walenton's Feed and Garden Supplies store. In 1973, the City of Whitewater purchased the building and leased it to the Whitewater Historical Society for use as a local history museum. The Depot Museum opened to the public in July of 1974.
The marker is located at the entrance to the Whitewater Depot Museum / Whitewater Historical Society, and is accessible from eastbound West Whitewater Street, at its intersection with South Fremont Street, at or near 301 West Whitewater Street, Whitewater, Wisconsin 53190.



The sign, visible on the right, is at the entrance to the depot.

LAST PASSENGER TRAIN LEAVING WHITEWATER,
November 29, 1951

POSTCARD, c. 1900
This postcard, showing the depot from trackside, illustrates how little the depot has changed over the years. A renovation project in 2012 restored the building exterior and rehabilitated the interior space to better accommodate the depot's adaptive reuse as a museum.
FREIGHT HOUSE, photo by Fran Achen, c 1970
When the passenger depot was completed in 1891, Whitewater's first depot became the railroad's freight house. After being vacant for many years, the building was demolished in 1990.
Looking northeast along the railroad tracks.


The marker is located in Whitewater, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment