Territorial Burr Oak

© Photographed May 7, 2017
Erected 1962 by Whitewater Volunteer Fire Department
Whitewater, Jefferson County, Wisconsin
42.835195, -88.737435
Google Map

TERRITORIAL BURR OAK

1836
Government Survey
Circumference
16 inches - 1836
132 inches - 1962

Marked by
Whitewater Volunteer Fire Department
June 30, 1962

The Burr Oak and marker are located on the northwest corner of the intersection of North Franklin Street and West Main Street / Old Highway 12, at or near 504 West Main Street, Whitewater, Wisconsin 53190.

Wisconsin DNR: The Territorial Oak Whitewater
The Burr Oak was first used by Native Americans as a landmark on their way to Lake Koshkonong.
The Burr Oak was surveyed in 1836 when the village of Whitewater was platted. The Oak has been adopted as the city symbol, and appears on official city stationery.
The tree is adjacent to the home of early Whitewater settler Rosetha Trippe, who came from New York with her husband Dr. James Trippe. He built the first grist mill on Whitewater Creek. They lived in a log cabin near the mill site. After Dr. Trippe died, Rosetha moved to the Burr Oak location.





The Burr Oak is located in the Historic Starin Park
neighborhood of Whitewater, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment