Northwestern Hotel (ca. 1874) (11)

© Photographed May 3, 2017
Omro, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.039586, -88.745995
Google Map

Northwestern Hotel   ca. 1874
207 W. Main Street
When this Italianate-style hotel was built it was the pride of Omro. Arriving guests were picked up by its carriages at the railroad depot a few blocks away, steamboats brought guests by river, and stage lines brought them to the front door. Awaiting them were twelve-inch-thick cream brick walls that enclosed a dining room and a “sample room,” while the guest rooms in the stories above were the best the city had to offer. The interurban trolley line from Oshkosh, which started service in 1902 and ran until the late 1920s, ended in front of the hotel. The building is located within the Omro Downtown Historic District. 
Buildings like this were prized symbols of community growth, partly because of the size of the investment they represented and because they replaced the smaller, highly flammable wood buildings built in the pioneer period.
The marker is located at Tanner's Tap & Grill at 207 West Main Street, Omro, Wisconsin 54963.

Click here to view all markers and sites included in the City of Omro Historical Tour.

The small plaque is affixed to the facade
to the left of the entrance on the left.








The Northwestern Hotel is located in Omro, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment