© Photographed April 23, 2017
Erected 2011 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 3.909′ N, 89° 24.158′ W
Law, Law and Potter, Architects
1918, 1924, and 1938
The Longfellow School served the ethnically diverse Greenbush neighborhood as a community anchor between 1918 and 1980. Designed by the prominent Madison firm of Law, Law and Potter, the school is an excellent example of the Elizabethan Revival, a brick subtype of the Tudor Revival style. The school is also significant as an embodiment of Progressive educational ideals, including a curriculum of manual training and the improvement of health and nutrition. The school design incorporated new features such as a gymnasium, lunchroom, nurse's office, an auditorium and library.
Designated July 26, 1993
Longfellow School is located on the southwest corner of the T-intersection of South Brooks Street and Mound Street; the marker is accessible from eastbound Mound Street, at or near 210 South Brooks Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53715.
The marker is No. 102 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.
See also these nearby related markers:
Longfellow School is located in Madison, Wisconsin.