Erected by Rivers, Rails & Trails Heritage Area
Osceola, Polk County, Wisconsin
By 1845, the first sawmill was erected in Osceola. It stood two stories high and was capable of cutting 10,000 board feet every 24 hours. Approximately 35 million board feet were cut during its existence. It was located on Osceola Creek near the shores of the St. Croix River. In the fall of 1853, the first wheat raised in Polk County was ground in the Kent Brothers' new gristmill. The mill built above Cascade Falls, stood four stories tall and was propelled by an overshot wheel driven by water. It was the oldest mill still in operation in Polk County when it was destroyed by fire on the morning of July 5, 1880. Remnants of the mill still remain today.
This is one of many interpretive signs in the River, Rails & Trails Heritage Area, a project funded in part by a Heritage Tourism grant from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism.
The marker is located at Wilkie Glen and Cascade Falls on southbound North Cascade Street / Wisconsin Highway 35, at its intersection with 1st Avenue, at 101 North Cascade Road, Osceola, Wisconsin 54020.
Osceola Wisconsin: Osceola Historical Society
Written by longtime resident and Town Board member Eugene Lindholm
Nearby Water Turbine Wheel . . .
Was installed in 1870. Replaced the 40'
Overshot Wheel. It supplied 500 HP which
powered the sawmill and the gristmill.
The marker is located adjacent to a walking path at Village Park.
The marker is on the trail adjacent to the WaterShed Cafe.
The marker is located in Osceola, Wisconsin