© Photographed August 14, 2016
Erected by Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources,
Menomonee Valley Partners, Inc.,
the Wisconsin Coastal Management Program and
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 1.669′ N, 87° 57.505′ W
MILWAUKEE ROAD SHOPS
From 1879 to 1985, this was the location of the Milwaukee Road Shops. The enormous complex made rail cars and locomotives for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad. The Shops included carpentry, metal forging, machine assembly, welding, and painting facilities.
Originally located near 6th and Florida streets, the railroad created sixty acres of land by moving the Menomonee River and filling in the Valley wetlands from 27th Street all the way to 44th Street. The Shops eventually spanned 160 acres.
Workers here built and maintained the engines and cars for the Milwaukee Road. In 1907, workers at the Shops built 10 locomotives per month and 28 freight cars per day. By 1937, the Shops made 668 locomotives and nearly 67,000 freight cars.As trucks and airplanes became the primary transport for people and freight, rail use declined. The Shops closed in 1985, and today only two smokestacks remain.In 1922, the Milwaukee Road Shops comprised the third largest railroad and rail car complex in the United States. Between 1941 and 1950, workers at the Milwaukee Road Shops constructed more than 20,000 freight cars, 165 cabooses, and 220 passenger cars. The Shops were best known for producing cars for Hiawatha trains between 1934 and 1948.
The marker is located along the Hank Aaron State Trail, adjacent to West Canal Street, east of its intersection with West Milwaukee Road, near 3700 West Milwaukee Road, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53208.
NOTE: There is plenty of parking at Charter Wire LLC at 700 West Milwaukee Road to briefly access the marker.
The marker is located adjacent to the 35th Street Bridge.
Plenty of parking here to access the marker location.
The marker is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.