Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site

© Photographed July 16, 2016
Erected by Trinity Historical Society
Mequon, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
43.233936, -88.046221 
43° 14.031′ N, 88° 2.799′ W
Google Map

Scroll down to view 15 historical markers / sites
located at or near the Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site.

Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site is accessible from southbound North Church Place, south of its intersection with West Freistadt Road, at or near 11705 North Church Place, Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.

Wisconsin Historical Society "official" Marker 85: The Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin, located a short walking distance northeast of the Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site, tells the history of the Trinity-Freistadt community:
In early October 1839, approximately 20 families settled near this site to found the colony of Freistadt. Prompted by religious persecution in the homeland, the group sought and found religious haven in Wisconsin. The first log cabin was located southwest of the present church. The congregation immediately purchased 40 acres of land and in the spring of 1840 built the first Lutheran church in the state. The log building, 30 by 20 feet, was also used for school purposes. The first pastor of the congregation was L.F.E. Krause (1841-1847). The Lutheran Buffalo Synod was organized here in June 1845. Since 1848 the congregation has been a member of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod.
Wisconsin Historical Society: Architecture and History Inventory
Historic Name: Trinity Lutheran Evangelical Church
Reference No. 13485
Historical Significance:
In 1839 a group of settlers arrived in Mequon. They were Lutherns seeking freedom from the religious tyranny of the Prussia king, Frederick William III. These settlers pechase [sic] land in sections 17, 18, 19, and 20; range 21. Their setlement [sic]was centered on the intersection of hese [sic] four sections (were currently the soutg [sic] part of Granville Road meets Freistadt Road). In the notheastern corner of section 17 (southwest corner of the intersection), Land was set aside for the construction of the church. This church was the first Lutheran church in Wisconsin.

The Freistadt settlers were among the earlist
[sic] Lutherans to come to the United States, and some of the first Germans in Wisconsin. There [sic] success at Freistadt encouraged others to follow them to Wisconsin, and was at least in part a a [sic] contributing factor to the eventual large german [sic] population in Mequon.
The foregoing content used with generous permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

 
Unfortunately, the Facebook Page does not post hours that the location is open.

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13
Klub-Beuscher Bake Oven

 Nearby Wisconsin Historical Society "official" Marker 85:
The Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin

 Trinity Lutheran Church,
located northeast of Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site,
is a Wisconsin historic landmark that is on
neither the national nor state registers of historic places.

Freistadt (literally "Freetown") is today located in the
postal area of Mequon, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment