Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site: 9 Trinity School Woodshed

© Photographed July 16, 2016
Erected by Trinity Historical Society
Mequon, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
43.233936, -88.046221 
43° 14.031′ N, 88° 2.799′ W
Google Map 

9
TRINITY SCHOOL WOODSHED

Trinity School Woodshed
This structure was built in 1881. It was first used as a woodshed for the original stone schoolhouses of Freistadt, on built in the 1850's and the other in 1873. One schoolhouse was used to educate younger children (Kleine Schule), the other to educate the older children (Grosse Schule).

The only source of heat during the long Wisconsin winters was from wood burning stoves that were installed in both schoolhouses.

The wood shed was moved to the cemetery in 1928 for use during Sunday afternoon picnics and festivals.

The stone schoolhouses were used until 1926 and eventually torn down in 1929.
It was moved to this location in 2001 to be used as a tool shed.

Thanks to Andrew Gonstead, Troop 80, Menomonee Falls, for painting this building as part of his Eagle project.
The marker is located at Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site, and is accessible from southbound North Church Place, south of its intersection with West Freistadt Road, at or near 11705 North Church Place, Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.

Unfortunately, the Facebook Page does not post hours that the location is open.


See also, Marker 85: The Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin, a short distance from the Trinity Freistadt Historical Site.

 The marker is affixed to the facade, to the left of the entrance.


Freistadt (literally "Freetown") is today located in the
postal area of Mequon, Wisconsin.


 Trinity School Woodshed is located at
Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site in Mequon, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment