© Photographed July 15, 2016
Oconto, Oconto County, Wisconsin
has been placed on the
NATIONAL REGISTER OF
United States Department
of the Interior.
The marker is located on northbound Drolette Road, at its V-intersection with County Highway SS, at or near 3398 County Highway SS, Oconto, Wisconsin 54153.
Placed March 22, 2006 as "Arndt's Pensaukee Sawmill Complex"
Wisconsin’s first documented and sustained commercial water powered sawmill and lumbering operation, Arndt’s Pensaukee Mill (1827), was built here on the Pensaukee River. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places. The mill was used until the 1860s. Pensaukee was Oconto County’s first modern era community with the first modern farm, both being established around the Mill. A dam levy along the north bank of the river can still be seen but is the only surviving structure. E.A. Taylor’s Pensaukee stagecoach stop (ca 1855) and hotel (ca 1871) and Gardner’s Sawmill and Grand Hotel (ca 1850 and 1872) were also located nearby. The Grand Hotel was advertised as the largest and most lavish north of Milwaukee. They were destroyed by a huge tornado which leveled much of Pensaukee in 1877.
The foregoing content used with generous permission of
The property is on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.
Beautiful barn just across the road from the marker location.